Tip of the Week: Use one short code company-wide

Short codes are the 5 digit numbers assigned to a business that are used to send and receive SMSs. In most cases, it’s best practice to use the same short code company-wide to help with brand recognition.

There may be circumstances where it makes sense to use different short codes. For example, after an acquisition the two business entities may want to maintain distinct brands and prefer to keep separate short codes.

Read more about short code best practices here and let us know if you have any questions in the comments!

2 Likes

Short code also mean better throughput rates (more messages per second) when compared with long codes.

1 Like

Short codes are easy to remember as it is shorter than regular mobile numbers.

2 Likes

I know it can take a long time to acquire a short code. Is there a website or a company we can use to lookup short codes, who owns them, which ones are available, etc?

1 Like

Short Codes (SC) are owned by the A2P (Application to Person) SMS service provider. These service providers are also known/referred to as aggregators/partners/gateway in the A2P SMS world. With Ushur, customers do not have to worry about the Short Code procurement process, etc. as it is part of the “Go live” or deployment phase. Ushur works with industry leaders to craft and recommend A2P campaigns ensuring high reachability and successful delivery rates leading to maximum business value out of the associated Ushur solution.

1 Like

Customer trust is the most important element here. I have pushed campaigns out to the end users using both short codes and regular numbers with short codes getting better click rates (for Invisible App) and engagements.

2 Likes

I agree that customer trust is the most important element here. Amir, I’m curious, would you say it’s also easier to push campaigns out to end users with short codes instead of using regular numbers? If so, why?